Does producing fine art PRINTS negatively effect the professional artist?

Perhaps you discussed this prior to my joining the group, but I'd like to know your opinions on fine art prints. Do you feel they lessen an artist's prestige? This has been a topic of endless discussion between my husband and I, with me (the artist) leaning towards the negative. I can't help but think that it slightly lowers an artist's reputation. Yet, on the other side, it allows buyers in a lower price bracket to enjoy your work. I'm very torn on this and would love to hear your thoughts.

To be candid, I just started selling a few paintings as prints on Saatchi - a kind of test. The three originals are no longer available. My thought was that if I'm going to try the print concept, it won't be with pieces that are still available. But I'm tentative about the whole thing.